do i file taxes where i live or work


do i file taxes where i live or work

When it comes to filing taxes, the general rule is that you should file them where you live. However, there are certain circumstances where you may need to file taxes in both your place of residence and your place of work. This typically occurs when you live in one state but work in another. In such cases, you may be required to file a state tax return in both states. It is important to consult with a tax professional or refer to the specific tax laws of your state to ensure you are filing correctly and avoiding any penalties.

How much income is tax free in USA?

How much income is tax free in USA?
The requirement to file and pay taxes is not applicable to everyone. The gross income threshold for filing taxes in the 2022 tax year varies depending on factors such as age, filing status, and dependents. It ranges from $12,550 to $28,500. However, if you have self-employment income and earn $400 or more, you are obligated to report your income and file taxes.

The need to file taxes is determined by several key factors, including your filing status and age.

Do I need to let my bank know I’m leaving the country?

Do I need to let my bank know I
Before you depart, it is important to inform your bank about your travel plans. This can be done by calling them or visiting their website. They will typically require information such as your destination, travel dates, and the type of card you will be using.

Make sure to provide your bank with the specific dates of your trip and the countries you will be visiting. It is also advisable to give them a contact number where you can be reached while you are abroad, in case they need to get in touch with you.

How long can a citizen stay outside US?

For individuals who possess a US green card and are lawful permanent residents, establishing a new residence in a foreign country poses significant challenges. Failure to naturalize can result in the abandonment of their US residence, leading to potential denial of reentry into the United States. Extensive information on this matter can be found in the resource titled “Keeping Your Green Card After You Get It.” Consequently, many individuals are compelled to pursue naturalized US citizenship as a means to safeguard their status. By becoming a naturalized citizen, one can freely reside in another country without jeopardizing their US citizenship. This offers a sense of security and peace of mind, as there is minimal risk involved in maintaining their US citizenship status.

Can I stay out of UK for more than 6 months?

Can I stay out of UK for more than 6 months?
Periods of more than 6 months spent abroad do not automatically disqualify you from obtaining Permanent Residence. The Home Office has the authority to determine what qualifies as a genuine interruption of your continuous stay in the UK.

There are certain situations, such as maternity leave, military service in your home country, or necessary time spent abroad for work or education, that may be disregarded and not considered as interrupting the 5-year period.

However, it is crucial to provide strong justification and supporting evidence for any extended absences from the UK in order to prevent them from breaking your continuous 5-year residence in the country.

What happens if income is not reported?

Sometimes, a simple mistake in reporting can be the cause. For instance, a taxpayer might accidentally underreport their income by omitting a tax form or forgetting about a project they were paid for earlier in the year.

To ensure accurate reporting, it is important to include all income on various forms such as W2, 1099INT, 1099MISC, and any others received from third parties.

While accidental errors can still result in penalties, it is crucial to inform the IRS immediately and file an amended tax return if you realize you made a mistake.

Underreporting income is never a wise decision, even if you believe you should be paying less tax. It can lead to interest charges, penalties, and in some cases, even criminal charges.

When dealing with complex tax situations, seeking assistance from a tax expert can be highly beneficial.

Can foreigners buy property in Vietnam?

Can foreigners buy property in Vietnam?
Foreigners in Vietnam can own houses by investing in project-based housing construction or by buying, renting, purchasing, receiving, or inheriting houses in commercial housing projects. However, areas related to national defense and security are excluded from this eligibility.

To be eligible, foreigners investing in house construction projects must obtain an Investment Registration Certificate in Vietnam and have the houses built within the project. They are not allowed to own separate houses that are not part of a commercial housing project. Only apartments and detached houses within the projects are available for foreign ownership.

Foreigners who meet the necessary conditions can buy apartments and houses in the project and obtain a house ownership certificate. These conditions include having permission to enter Vietnam, not having diplomatic immunity or privileges, holding a valid passport with the entry seal of Vietnam’s immigration authority, and having full civil capacity to engage in housing transactions as prescribed by Vietnamese law. Temporary or permanent residence registration in the location of the house transaction is not required.

Can I work for a US company while living abroad?

Can I work for a US company while living abroad?
If you’re interested in working remotely, it’s important to determine whether the job you’re applying for is for a full-time employee or a contractor. This information is usually provided in the job description and will affect your ability to work remotely.

There are two main classifications for workers: independent contractors and employees. Independent contractors are individuals or businesses that provide services to clients under a written agreement in exchange for a fee. They have control over when and how they work and often have multiple clients. On the other hand, employees typically work exclusively for one organization and the employer has control over their work schedule and methods.

If you’re classified as an independent contractor, you have the freedom to choose where you work. However, if you’re classified as an employee, you’ll need to seek permission from your employer to work remotely. In both cases, it’s important to comply with local labor laws and determine if you need a work permit.

But what if you’re an employee and want to work remotely? You can discuss with your employer the possibility of being reclassified as an independent contractor. However, it’s important to note that this change in classification should also come with a change in your working relationship. If the company continues to treat you like an employee, they may be at risk of misclassification. In fact, in the US alone, up to 30% of employers have misclassified at least one worker.

To learn more about worker classification, you can use our worker classification analyzer.

A helpful tip: If you own a sole proprietorship and come across a job ad that specifies an employment contract, it’s a good idea to reach out to the hiring manager before applying. Ask them if they would consider working with an independent contractor. Just remember that you’ll need to revisit the responsibilities and working hours to minimize the risk of misclassification.

Can I come back to US if I lost my green card?

Can I come back to US if I lost my green card?
I need to replace my lost, stolen, or expired Green Card. What should I do?

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or expired, there are steps you can take to replace it. Here are the options available to you:

1. File Form I-90: If your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or expired, you can file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This form can be filed online or by mail. Make sure to provide all the necessary documentation and pay the required fees.

2. Contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate: If you are outside of the United States and your Green Card has been lost, stolen, or expired, you can contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for assistance. They will guide you through the process of replacing your Green Card.

3. Schedule an InfoPass Appointment: If you prefer to speak with a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer in person, you can schedule an InfoPass appointment at your local USCIS office. During the appointment, you can discuss your situation and receive guidance on how to replace your Green Card.

4. Report a Stolen Green Card: If your Green Card has been stolen, it is important to report it to the local law enforcement authorities. This will help prevent any potential misuse of your identity.

5. Expedited Processing: In certain circumstances, you may be eligible for expedited processing of your Green Card replacement application. This is typically reserved for urgent situations, such as upcoming travel plans or employment requirements. You will need to provide evidence to support your request for expedited processing.

It is important to note that the process of replacing a lost, stolen, or expired Green Card can take time. It is recommended to start the process as soon as possible to avoid any disruptions to your status as a Lawful Permanent Resident.

What is 90 day rule for UK tax?

xxxxx incorporates the concept of UK ties and the number of days an individual spends in the UK. There are five types of UK ties, each with its own complexities:

1. Family tie: This tie applies when the individual has a spouse, civil partner, unmarried partner, or minor child residing in the UK. However, if the individual sees the child in the UK for fewer than 61 days in a year, or if the child is only resident in the UK due to full-time education and spends less than 21 days in the UK outside of term time, they will not be taken into account.

2. Accommodation tie: This tie is established when the individual has access to accommodation in the UK for a continuous period of at least 91 days in a tax year and spends at least one night there. If the accommodation belongs to a close relative, the one night requirement extends to 16 nights. It’s important to note that ownership of the accommodation is not necessary, so even holiday homes or hotels can trigger this tie.

3. Work tie: This tie applies when the individual works in the UK for 40 or more days in a tax year, with a minimum of three hours per day.

4. 90-day tie: This tie is established when the individual has been present in the UK for more than 90 days in either of the previous two tax years.

5. Country tie: This tie applies to leavers only. It is established when the individual is present in the UK at midnight in the tax year as much as or more than they are present in any other single country.

The number of ties an individual has affects the amount of time they can spend in the UK while still being considered nonresident. It’s important to note that the table provided below only applies to individuals who were UK residents in one or more of the three previous tax years.

Please be aware that specific legislative changes were made to the SRT rules for the 2019/20 and 2020/21 tax years due to COVID-19. These changes are limited in scope and only affect certain aspects of the day counting tests under the SRT. For more information on these new rules, please refer to our article. Individuals who believe they may be affected by these changes should seek professional advice.

Arrivers table: [Content not provided]

How long can I live abroad and work in UK?

When an employee is temporarily working overseas from the UK, the UK employer should continue to deduct income tax, national insurance contributions (NICs), and pay employer NICs under the PAYE system. However, the employer and employee may need to apply for a certificate from HMRC to confirm that social security is only due in the UK.

If the employee’s stay in the host country becomes extended or indefinite, it becomes more complicated. Employers should be aware of the 183-day rule, which is generally the tipping point for tax residency in a country. Even before reaching this threshold, there are potential traps. If it is anticipated that the employee will be working overseas for a complete UK tax year, they may apply for a No Tax PAYE code from HMRC, which allows the employer to pay the employee without PAYE deductions.

It is important to consider the risks of income tax or social security liability in the host country, as well as the potential creation of a permanent establishment for corporation tax purposes. Understanding the rules in the host country is crucial.

Income tax may be payable in the host country, but if there is a double tax treaty (DTT) between the UK and the host country, the employee may be exempt from income tax there under certain conditions. The number of days the employee is present in the host country over a 12-month period must not exceed 183 days. The UK has DTTs with most countries, meaning that a short stay abroad is unlikely to result in liability for host country income tax. However, conditions can vary between DTTs.

Even if the DTT applies, there may still be obligations in the host country, such as employer registration and reporting on income paid to the employee. It is important to understand the local position.

If the employee becomes subject to tax in the host country but remains UK tax resident, they will still be subject to UK income tax on worldwide income. They may be able to obtain credit for the tax paid in the host country, but this process can be complex.

The social security position depends on agreements in place. In the EU (excluding Ireland), there are exceptions for multistate workers and detached workers. UK employee and employer NICs can continue to be paid, and no social security will arise in the EU country if the stay does not exceed two years and the employee is not replacing another detached worker. A certificate of coverage from HMRC may be necessary.

The UK has social security agreements with Ireland and Switzerland, which also contain exemptions for multistate workers and detached workers. The exceptions under these agreements could potentially be for longer than two years.

Outside the EU and Switzerland, the position depends on reciprocal agreements between the host country and the UK. In countries with reciprocal agreements, an employee can remain within the UK system and not pay local social security contributions for up to five years with a valid certificate of coverage. In countries without agreements, the UK employer must continue to deduct employee UK NICs and pay employer NICs for the first 52 weeks. There may also be a liability to pay social security contributions in the host country.

If there is a risk that the employee’s activities or presence in the host country will create a permanent establishment for the employer, careful consideration should be given to this issue. If a permanent establishment is created, the profits attributable to that establishment would be subject to corporate tax in the host country, and the income tax exemption in the DTT would not apply.

In short-term working-from-home arrangements, it would be difficult for tax authorities to argue that a permanent establishment has been created. However, the longer the arrangement continues, especially if the employee is in a senior strategic management or business development role, the greater the risk.

Do foreigners pay tax in UK?

Do foreigners pay tax in UK?
If you are not a British resident but work in the UK, you will be required to pay UK tax on the income earned in the country. This applies even if you are only working for a single day, such as musicians who perform in London.

As an expat working in the UK without being a settled resident, you will likely be considered a tax resident. This means that in addition to paying UK tax on income earned in the UK, you will also have to pay UK tax on overseas income that is brought into the country. However, if you have Non-Domiciled status, you may not have to pay UK tax on non-UK income that remains outside of the country. It’s important to note that this area has become more complex and may require specialized advice, especially if you are subject to paying a non-dom levy.

Any income that is taxable in the UK will be subject to UK Income Tax at the rates outlined below. Additionally, income from employment or self-employment will also be subject to National Insurance contributions.

Tax Rates:

– Annual Tax-Free Allowance: £0 – £12,500
– Basic Rate of Income Tax on Earned Income: 20% (£12,501 – £50,000)
– Higher Rate of Income Tax on Earned Income: 40% (£50,001 – £150,000)
– Top Rate of Income Tax on Earned Income: 45% (£150,001 and above)

There is a particular consideration for earnings in the £100,000 – £125,000 range. For every £1 earned above £100,000 per year, the taxpayer not only has to pay 40% tax on the income but also loses 50p of their tax-free allowance. This means that previously tax-free income is now taxed at 40%, resulting in an additional 20p in tax. This combined tax rate of 60% applies before National Insurance contributions are taken into account.

National Insurance contributions are payable in addition to income tax, with different rates for employees and the self-employed. The self-employed pay less, which incentivizes tax authorities to classify some self-employed individuals as de facto employees of their clients.

Self-employed National Insurance rates:

– £3 per week (£156 per year) as long as you are making at least £6,365 per year, plus a profit-related element
– 0% on profits up to £8,631 per year
– 9% on profits between £8,632 and £50,000 per year
– 2% on profits over £50,000 per year

For employees, there are costs for both the individual and the employer.

Employees’ National Insurance rates:

– 0% on pay up to £165 per week
– 12% on pay between £166 and £962 per week
– 2% on pay over £962 per week

Employers’ National Insurance rate:

– 13.8% on all pay above £166 per week

For individuals earning a salary in the range of £100,000 – £125,000 per year, the government takes the following for every extra pound earned:

– Income tax: 60p (as explained above)
– Employees’ National Insurance: 2p
– Employers’ National Insurance: 13.8p

In total, the government receives 75.8p out of the total 113.8p paid by the employer, leaving the individual with 38p. This means that the government receives approximately two-thirds of the cash. Therefore, it may be beneficial to consider swapping salary for tax-free pension contributions. If you are an expat, you may be able to take your UK pension assets back to your home country if you do not stay in the UK.

Please note that this summary is a general overview and should not replace personalized advice from a professional. If you have complex or multi-country tax affairs, it is recommended to consult a qualified advisor.

Terms | Privacy
Copyright 2023 Commonwealth Contractors Ltd SW14 8DS<< h2>What income needs to be reported?

Filing Status Taxpayer age at the end of 2022 A taxpayer must file a return if their gross income was at least:
single under 65 $12,950
single 65 or older $14,700
head of household under 65 $19,400
head of household 65 or older $21,150
married filing jointly under 65 (both spouses) $25,900
married filing jointly 65 or older (one spouse) $27,300
married filing jointly 65 or older (both spouses) $28,700
married filing separately any age $5
qualifying surviving spouse under 65 $25,900
qualifying surviving spouse 65 or older $27,300

h2>How much tax will I pay on 350 a week UK?

Total taxable income – wages: £350 a week x 52 weeks


Take off your personal allowance


You are left with the amount of your taxable income on which you actually have to pay tax:
£18,200 – £12,570


Calculate your tax liability:
£5,630 x 20%


Take off the amounts you get due to any special allowances


Take off any tax already deducted from the income you receive before you get it:
This depends on the PAYE code used for your wages but here we assume you
were on the correct code for the whole tax year


Tax now due or (repayable)




In conclusion, it is important for individuals to understand the implications and regulations surrounding various aspects of living and working abroad. Failing to report income can lead to serious consequences, including penalties and legal issues. It is crucial to comply with tax laws and report all income accurately to avoid any complications.

In the United States, there is a certain amount of income that is tax-free, known as the standard deduction. This amount varies depending on the individual’s filing status. It is advisable to consult with a tax professional or refer to the IRS guidelines to determine the specific tax-free income threshold.

Foreigners looking to buy property in Vietnam should be aware of the restrictions and regulations in place. While it is possible for foreigners to purchase property, there are certain limitations and requirements that need to be met. It is recommended to seek legal advice and thoroughly research the process before proceeding with any property transactions.

Working for a US company while living abroad is possible, thanks to advancements in technology and remote work opportunities. However, it is essential to consider the legal and tax implications of such arrangements. Consulting with an immigration lawyer and tax advisor can provide clarity on the specific requirements and obligations.

The duration of living abroad and working in the UK depends on various factors, including visa status and employment arrangements. It is crucial to understand the specific rules and regulations governing each situation to ensure compliance and avoid any legal issues.

Informing your bank about your departure from the country is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended. This allows the bank to take necessary precautions to protect your account and prevent any unauthorized transactions. It is advisable to inform the bank in advance and inquire about any additional steps or requirements.

Foreigners residing in the UK are generally subject to UK tax laws. However, the specific tax obligations may vary depending on factors such as residency status, income sources, and double taxation agreements. Seeking professional advice from a tax specialist can help navigate the complexities of the UK tax system.

The 90-day rule in the UK refers to the period of time an individual can spend in the country without becoming a tax resident. Staying in the UK for more than 90 days within a tax year may result in tax residency status and associated tax obligations. It is important to understand the rules and seek professional advice to ensure compliance.

US citizens can stay outside the country for an indefinite period of time. However, it is important to maintain certain ties and connections to the US to avoid any issues with residency status or re-entry. Keeping a valid US passport, maintaining a US address, and filing taxes as required can help ensure a smooth return to the US.

Losing a green card does not necessarily mean permanent exclusion from the US. There are processes and options available to regain entry, such as applying for a returning resident visa or filing a Form I-90 to replace the lost green card. It is advisable to consult with an immigration attorney to determine the best course of action in such situations.

Sources Link

You are watching: do i file taxes where i live or work

Leave a Comment